Wednesday 28 March 2012

Whisky Discovery #60

Four Roses Bourbon Yellow Label (40% abv OB Bottled 2012)
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Circa £20.00 70cl
I added a bottle to my journey and enjoyed it in the sunshine!
I've heard lots of good things about Four Roses Bourbon and so was really keen to sample some of their wares at Whisky Live London 2012. It was dram #16 of my afternoon.

I think there are a number of stories of how Four Roses got it's name, but I was told it began when Paul Jones Junior, the founder of Four Roses Bourbon, became smitten by the beauty of a Southern belle. It is said that he sent a proposal to her, and she replied that if her answer were "Yes," she would wear a corsage of roses on her gown to the upcoming grand ball. Paul Jones waited for her answer excitedly on that night of the grand ball…when she arrived in her beautiful gown, she wore a corsage of four red roses.

He later named his Bourbon "Four Roses" as a symbol of his devout passion for the lovely belle.

So what did I think?
I was immediately impressed by this entry level bourbon at the show, and eventually got to add a bottle to my shelf. The colour is a light copper bronze which looks great in the sunlight. I love the nose of this bourbon, it's fruity with hints of both apples and pears and there are some wonderful spring blossom aromas, spices, caramel and honey.

It's smooth and a little oily in the mouth, and on the palate, caramel, spicy vanilla, fruity, the pear being more prominent than the apples on the nose, almonds, and orange zest.

The finish is quite short, honey sweetness, but with a drying nuttiness at the end. 

I really like this entry level bourbon, and it was my first taste of Kentucky Straight Bourbon too! It is great value and can often be found discounted in some UK supermarkets. It's also listed in Ian Buxton's new book 101 World Whiskies to Try Before You Die so I stand in some very good company!

No comments: