Saturday 10 March 2012

Whisky Discovery #42


The English Whisky Company Chapter 6 (46% abv OB Distilled May 2008, Bottled Sept 2011)
English Single Malt Whisky
Circa £35 70cl

My bottle of Chapter 6
Their Classic Malt expression and a 3 year old non peated (non smoky) single malt whisky. With only small plastic tots to taste this whisky I wasn't able to go into immediate detail with my notes, but it was fresh and young as one would expect for a three year old. The vanilla from the bourbon casks was there as was the slight citrus flavours on the palate.The distillers notes are below:

Nose: Light and smooth. Fresh and fragrant, sweet, soft & slightly spicy. Fresh cut grassy notes, along with gentle vanilla. Fruity with hints of lime, banana and pear. A gentle waft of marzipan. Nose softens with water and is quite nutty (hazelnuts, cashews, almonds).

Palate: Quite full-bodied. Tingling and textured on the palate. Fresh wood, vanilla, again fruity and nutty, malty, cereal character comes through. Slightly citrus. Very clean.

Awards: Gold in Whisky Masters 2011 and 91 points in Jim Murray’s 2012 bible



Very Happy with my first bottle of English Whisky
I bought myself a bottle of this before leaving the distillery. It is my official March addition to the journey and a little piece of English whisky history. My bottle has been 'married' from four casks; 573,574,613,and 614, and was out of the very same batch that I tasted at the distillery. I cracked open my bottle and poured my self a large dram in a proper whisky nosing glass (thanks again Balvenie!).


So what did I think? 

This whisky has a great deal of potential, and I'll be looking forward to seeing their first 5, 8 and 10 year old malts. This is going to be a great whisky. The ingredients have been carefully selected and the whisky hand-crafted for an outstanding quality.

Colour: Very light and very much like a white wine



Body: Quite rich with lots of long legs in the glass

Nose: A lively nose, citrus and fruity, my immediate thoughts were of apple flavoured jelly beans! There are definite grassy notes and the bourbon vanilla coming through.


Palate: Smooth and creamy on the palate, with a slight tingle. Again fruity, sweet apple and melon and the slight citrus tang behind the sweet bourbon vanilla, perhaps even a hint of honey. I'm really liking this!

Finish: A gentle warm tingle with vanilla sweetness and oak at the back of the tongue

This three year old already shows great promise, it is a worthy single malt and can stand proud as being the first English single malt whisky for over 100 years! Do not pass the opportunity of tasting this little piece of whisky history.

No comments: