Saturday 12 May 2012

Whisky Discovery #105

Campbeltown Loch (40% abv)
Blended Scotch Whisky
Circa £17.00 70cl

A first taste of Campbeltwon Whisky at Cambridge Wine Merchants
I popped into my local Cambridge Wine Merchants in Ampthill on the way home from work last Friday. I had called Chris up earlier in the week, to tell him that I was coming in to see him and that I was looking to buy some Campbeltown Whisky.

While deciding what to go for he poured me a dram of this rather good value blended scotch whisky from J & A Mitchell & Co, who incidentally own The Springbank Distillery

Campbeltown Loch is a 5 year old blend with Springbank and the peatier Longrow whisky in the mix. Once only available in the Campbeltown area but is now deservedly gaining wider recognition. 



So what did I think?
Light golden in colour Campbeltown Loch is initially fresh and fruity on the nose, it has aromas of confectionary, reminiscent of an old fashioned sweet shop, (which is funny because the shop used to be a sweet shop!) which develop on the palate into a pleasant malty sweetness. Hints of sea salt and peat can also be detected and some subtle plump grain. Sweet on the palate with gentle spice and malt. Very drinkable, at a very good price.


A nice introduction to Campbeltown whiskies I think.

No comments: