Monday 30 April 2012

Whisky Discovery #86

The Balvenie/Glenfiddich New Make Spirit (70.8% abv)
Speyside Single Malt

New Make Spirit Sample
Drams 13, 14 and 15 were sampled at The Balvenie stand. We were sipping Balvenie Peated Cask and discussing whisky and blogs with Nicola from the Whisky Boys we got an opportunity to sample a little of the new make spirit from the Balvenie Distillery. I'm not saying that new make spirit should be made available for sale , but I think that everyone on a whisky journey should be allowed to sample the distilled spirit before it is put to sleep in oak to get the full appreciation of what both the distiller has made, and what the oak does. Just another great experience but it would be so much better nosing it at the spirit safe!

I needed a few glasses of water in order to restore senses in my mouth and then followed this with a dram of one of my favourite Balvenies The 21 Year Old Portwood.

No comments: